Browse Items (8 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Architecture, Domestic--Vermont--North Hero--Photographs"

West Side of Main Street, North Hero

West side of North Hero's Main Street, looking from north to south. In the first photo, from right to left, we have (1) the North Hero House (the former Irving House, the partially visible tan building), (2) Mrs. Stephanie Bugden's house, (3) Dr.…

James McBride's House

The home of James McBride, located approximately three miles to the north of North Hero Village on East Shore Road. He's standing by the swing on the left.

First Bridge between North Hero and Alburgh

The old draw bridge between South Alburgh and North Hero. It was constructed in 1885/1886, after several years of people using the ferry to cross between towns. These photos are of the original bridge, which was replaced by a "new" bridge in 1954. At…

Vacation Camp

Four photos of the vacation camp on Block House Point Road. The first photo is of James McBride's original home before he moved to North Hero's east shore in 1870. The second is of Royal C. Blanchard's original home, which is located halfway in on…

Main Street, North Hero

North Hero's Main Street, looking north. The house on the near left is the home (1978) of Mrs. Ernest (Genia) Way. The next house is the home of Mariah and Gertrude Ladd, the daughters of Abner Ladd. The next house, which has a car in front of it, is…

Jailer's House

The house of North Hero's jail keeper, which is attached to the Grand Isle County Court House and Jail. While mostly used as the residence of the jail keeper and his family, the probate judge sometimes lived here. The use of the two-cell jail in the…

Foundation of Knight's House

Closeup of the old foundation of the wooden addition to the Knight House. Estimates suggest that this foundation was laid sometime after 1796 by John Knight, Sr. after he purchased the land from Enos Wood, who had built a log cabin on the same…

Knight's House

View of the Knight House from the back. Of note is the old foundation of the wooden addition that was demolished by Vermont Forests & Parks in 1976, which predates the 1845 Brick House.