Gould Residence, Gouldsville, Vt.

Nfld2006-107GouldResidence.jpg

Title

Gould Residence, Gouldsville, Vt.

Creator

Cady, C. W., Photographer

Description

This large Victorian residence, with an equally elaborate carriage house, was built by Joseph Gould (1809-1876), who owned a woolen mill in Northfield Falls, which he purchased in 1857. Behind the house, connected by a covered bridge of lattice work, was a small island in the Dog River that the family used for recreational purposes. The bridge is now long gone, and the island is covered in brush. Today, Gouldsville is now called Northfield Falls, the name of the village having been changed in 1905 by the U.S. Postal Service. And the former "Gould Mansion" now houses apartments, with the carriage house now the Rustic Restaurant. The land below the fence is the restaurant's parking lot.

Date

Before 1905

Source

General Photograph Collection, 2006.107

Identifier

Nfld2006-107GouldResidence

Rights

This image is presented for research and educational purposes only. Permission to publish must be obtained from the repository listed below.

Original Format

Repository

Northfield Historical Society, PO Box 422, Northfield, VT 05663

Citation

Cady, C. W., Photographer, “Gould Residence, Gouldsville, Vt.,” Digital Vermont: A Project of the Vermont Historical Society, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.digitalvermont.org/items/show/1104.